Today is October 9, 2013. It is the 282nd day of 2013 and there are 83 days left in the year. There are a number of historical events that have taken place on October 9. In addition, there are several United States and worldwide observances celebrated or recognized today.
OCTOBER 9 HISTORICAL EVENTS
Notable historical events, including, birthdays, deaths, legal, technology and many others, which have occurred on October 9:
- 1701: The Collegiate School of Connecticut received its charter. The name was later changed to Yale.
- 1781: The last major battle of the American Revolutionary War took place in Yorktown, Virginia.
- 1855: Isaac Singer patented the sewing machine motor.
- 1876: Alexander Graham Bell and Thomas Watson made their longest, 2 miles, telephone call to date.
- 1888: Washington Monument opened to the public.
- 1936: Hoover Dam began transmitting electricity to Los Angeles.
- 1940: John Lennon was born in Liverpool, England.
- 1946: The first electric blanket went on sale in Virginia.
- 1974: Oskar Schindler died in Frankfurt, Germany. Schindler is recognized as saving the lives of approximately 1,200 Jews during the Holocaust.
- 1983: Helen Moss joined the Brownies at the age of 83, the oldest person to become a member.
- 1986: Former United States District Judge Harry E. Claiborne of Nevada became the fifth federal official to be removed from office through impeachment. He was convicted by the Senate for tax evasion and bringing disrepute to the federal judiciary.
- 1989: The official Soviet news agency Tass reported an unidentified flying object in Voronezh, Russia. The report The report mentions a 9 to 10 foot tall, three-eyed alien with a robot escort.
- 1990: David Souter was sworn in as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 2012: Former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky was sentenced to 30 to 60 years in prison following his conviction on 45 counts of sexual abuse.
OCTOBER 9 OBSERVANCES
In addition, there are number of October 9th observances, both recognized or celebrated in the United States and worldwide:
- Curious Events Day;
- Leif Erikson Day (Leif Ericson was a Viking explorer believed to be the first recorded European to have visited the area that is now the United States);
- Moldy Cheese Day;
- National Pet Obesity Awareness Day;
- Submarine Hoagy Hero Grinder Day;
- Unity Day (Unite against bullying!); and
- World Post Day (anniversary of the establishment of the Universal Postal Union in 1874 in the Swiss Capital, Bern);
Hope everyone has a great October 9.
Latest posts by Jeffrey Lapin (see all)
- Morphed Image: Protected or Porn? - July 23, 2014
- Help Keep Lincoln Great – Give to Lincoln Day 2014 - May 29, 2014
- Administrative Professionals’ Day – 2014 - April 23, 2014