By: Jeffrey Lapin
Oscar Pistorius, the “Blade Runner,” has been in the news this past week regarding whether he should get bail after he has been charged with the premeditated murder of his girlfriend. Mr. Pistorius is not the only former Olympian, whose name you probably know, that has been charged with one or more serious crimes since their Olympic glory. Here are some of the “notorious” U.S. Olympians that have made the crime page:
- Olympics: Summer 2008 and 2012
- Event: Basketball
- Medals: 2 Golds
- Alleged Crime: Charged with sexual assault- charges dropped when accuser refused to testify; Kobe did issue a public statement, “Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.”
- Criminal Punishment: Not applicable
- Olympics: Winter 1994 Winter
- Event: Figure Skating
- Medal: None (finished 8th)
- Crime: Pled guilty to Class C felony for “hindering prosecution” regarding the assault on Nancy Kerrigan by her Hading’s ex-husband
- Criminal Punishment: Three years’ probation, assessed $110,000 in fines and legal fees, sentenced to 500 hours of community service and forced to resign as a member of the U.S. Figure Skating Association and give up her plans to compete in any other world figure skating championship
- Olympics: Summer 2000
- Events: Track events
- Medals: 5 track medals (3 gold and 2 bronze) in the 2000 Sidney Olympics (medals all returned for use of performance-enhancing drugs)
- Crimes: Pled guilty to lying to federal investigators about performance-enhancing drugs and a check fraud scam.
- Criminal Punishment: 6 month jail sentence in 2008.
- Olympics: Summer 1984
- Events: 10-meter Platform Diving
- Medals: Silver
- Crimes: Pled guilty to 2 counts vehicular manslaughter
- Criminal Punishment: 17 years in prison (paroled after serving less than 5)
- Olympics: Summer 2000
- Events: Track
- Medal: 1 gold medal (4×100 relay) in the 2000 Sidney Olympics (he was stripped of the medals for his involvement with performance-enhancing substances).
- Crimes: Multi-million fraud and money-laundering scheme; dealing heroin.
- Criminal Punishment: almost 10 years jail time.
- Note: had dated Marion Jones and they have 1 child together
- Here Are 5 Other Olympians Who Found Themselves In Court (By: Business Insider)
- The 50 Most Infamous Criminals in Sports History (Via: Sports Reference)
- Official website of the Olympic Movement – Olympics.org
- United States Olympic Committee website
- Legal News You May Have Missed (February 24, 2013)
- FDA Regulating Internet Metadata and Keywords
- Study Finds Alcohol Deaths Drop After Price Increase
- Dramatic Increase in Fatal Vehicle Crashes Following Storm
- Going Beyond No Texting and Driving: Huron, South Dakota
- The ABC’s Of Safe Winter Weather Driving
ABOUT LAPIN LAW OFFICES
Lapin Law Offices represents injured, abused and disabled clients throughout Nebraska with caring, passion and dedication. To find out if you have a case call us anytime (24/7) at 402-421-8033 (Lincoln), 888-525-8819 (Toll Free) or submit your case online (Contact Us) for a free initial consultation. We do collect a fee unless we get you money.